Kilembe Mines was established and incorporated in Uganda as a mining company in 1950. It was originally owned by two canadian companies, namely Frobisher & Falcon bridge. Production of copper began in 1956 it reached the peak in 1970 when maximum output of Bilster Copper reached 17,000 tones per annum. Thereafter, the production declined till 1979 when the smelter finally closed down. However, mining and ,milling continued up to 1982. Since then the Mine and the Mill have been kept on care and maintenance basis. Initially, Kilembe Mines Limited employed a workforce over 6000 people both skilled, semi- skilled and unskilled. It had training and wing preferred training it work force at work 70% of the workforce was indigenous. As mining operations declined workers were retrenched and some voluntarily retired.
Currently the mine employs 333 people both in Kilembe and in out stations (including casual workers).
Our major Products include:
Wagon wheels, Brake blokes, pulleys, Bushes, Water pumps, Housing, man hole covers, Fire bars, Centre columns, Ingot rails, Couplings, Timber plaining machines, Hammer mills, Seed oil mills, Impellers, Bricks making machines, Mini- hydro electric plants, Hullers, Window and door steel frames and various ferrous and non ferrous castings for manufacture of spare parts for machinery.